Re: L1 helping L2

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 09:05:33 PST

I am glad to see a lot of people with some helpful commnents for Karin,
whose questions seem to cut to the heart of a lot of issues of language
as tool, mediation, as well as bilingualism.

One phenomenon I have noticed is that when asked to do numerical
calculations, even highly adept l2 users rever to L1. This might be
activity-specific, and not a general issue, as Phil suggests. There are
some topics I can actually REFLECT about better in Russian, not a whole
lot, but some.

A also wonder about the exent to which high levels of mastery of a tool,
any tool, render that tool "invisible" a la Bateson's stick, so that the
mind, when using the tool, extends beyond it to provide additional
cognitive power.

Really interesting questions.
mike