RE: L1 helping L2

From: Huong Le (lehuon@student.vuw.ac.nz)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 02:02:55 PST

Karin,
I also collected data that show L1 helped the learners in the process
of learning L2. I look forward to further correspondence regarding
this issue. In my research, the students switched to mother tongue
when they had to figure out what they had to do to discuss a topic or
when they were engaged in task planning and procedures. When the
students met new words in L2, they started to use L1 to ask other
group members for help or use L1 to explain meanings of L2 new words.
This suggests that it is more comfortable for the students to use L1
in the learning process that required cognitive processing (planning
and figuring things out) or in the events when they did not have
enough L2 vocabulary.
Your questions:
1. In the process of trying to understand how the language
works she uses the mother tongue as a reflection tool. But why?

I guess the cognitive processes required in learning a new language
are borrowed from L1.

2.Or... could it be that when we focus our attention on something,
especially if it is difficult to grasp, we resort to the mother
tongue because it is less stressful for us, or less demanding
cognitively?

I think you’re right here. Though there hasn’t been much research to
prove it. Interviews with the learners will help.

3.private speech is most likely to be in the mother tongue?
From my case of learning a foreign language, I have more private
speech in L2 than in L1 when learning L2 or doing L2 tasks.

Huong