RE: CHAT and doctoral education

From: Cunningham, Donald James (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 18:38:09 PST

Hi Mike,

Your new Ed.D. sounds very interesting. We have offered both the Ed.D.
and Ph.D. for years with the putative reason being that the Ed.D was to
be a practitioners degree, as it seems yours is. Those who wanted to do
"hard science" were encouraged to do a Ph.D. To this day, I think, the
Ph.D. carries more credibility in some circles than the Ed.D. The REAL
reason for offering the Ed.D., however, was that the School of Education
controls the rules for it while the Graduate School controls the Ph.D.
The Graduate School holds on to rules that many of us consider
impractical for a professional school such as a requirement for full
time residency, time limits on the courses that can count for the
degree, fellowship requirements that favor particular patterns of
scholarship and so on.

I agree with what I hear you saying that we must greatly broaden the
varieties of doctoral training we provide to accommodates the needs of
our fields of application rather than assuming that a particular form of
classical training will automatically apply.

So would it be helpful to analyze the goal of obtaining a doctorate
and/or training the next generation of doctorate level professional and
explore the tensions and contradictions?

Don Cunningham
Indiana University