Re: question about literacy

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 13:08:01 PST

Dear Peter et al,

Below are a few references, and below that a recent snippet from the
Economist shared on the xmcacourse WebBoard that deals specifically with
the issue of text messaging lingo (aka the "nU fonetics").

Once we start problematizing the notion of "literacy" of course the
possible references can ramify at a rapid rate. I almost find myself
looking for the simple anchor of the word "literacy" in a title, but of
course there is no need to be so proscriptive. Here are a few:

Handbook of Literacy and Technology: Transformations in a
Post-Typographic World, Edited by David Reinking, Michael C. McKenna,
Linda D. Labbo and Ronald D. Kieffer

Literacy Theory in the Age of the Internet, Edited by Todd Taylor and
Irene Ward

I have a chapter, "Defining and Designing Twenty-First Century
Literacies" in Toward Digital Equity: Bridging the Divide in Education,
Allyn and Bacon, Edited by Gwen Solomon, Nancy Allen and Paul Resta.

And, of course, there are the profusion of texts on hypertext,
hypermedia, Ergodic literature and "new media literacy."

Now for the snippet from Natalia Gajdamaschko:

nU fonetics

txt msgN
Mar 6th 2003
>From The Economist print edition

duz txt msgN mAk U :-) o :-( ?
R U wurEd dat d eng lngwij wil bcum cor^ted & unrEdabl, dat kds wont no
how 2 spL? olds
got ^set rEsntlE wen a 13-yr-old :o)3 in w scotl& rOt a skul SA in txt.
she sed it wz
EZer thn writN all d borN lng wrds. it Bgan: “my smmr hols wr a CWOT.
B4, we Usd 2go2 NY
toC my bro, his GF & thr 3 :- kds FTF. ILNY, it iz a gr8 plc.” d Tcha
sed he c% dnt BlEv
it, it wz fulla hIrOglifs he c% dnt transl8
bt dnt fret. d sAm sorta shrt& n tLegrams o cAbls (remMbR dem?) didnt
dstroi eng. kds
txt (nOt d nu verb) Ech uthR cuz itz :) & chEp. 4ling mob fone chRjs &
nu typz of mob
fones mA mAk vox cmUnik8shn populR agN
txtN wil stil survIv, bt az a ritN dialect, jst az spOkn dialex survIvd
Tchaz F4tz 2
frash dem outa :- kds. so cheer ^!
PS if U cant rEd dis go 2 www.transl8it.com or Rsk yr chldrn

In Peace,