Re: Fwd: question about literacy

From: Karen Spear-Ellinwood (kspearellinwood@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 11:27:26 PST

It is interesting to me how this high school student has internalized in a particular way what is literacy and what is not, and what is 'good' literacy and what is a 'decline' in literacy. It would be interesting to examine how those concepts developed. I suspect through the sytemic or institutionalized pressure of schools and standardized testing and the emphasis on English-only instruction and 'standard' English.
Email could be seen as a surge in literacy, but perhaps due to the addition or resurgence of graphic/iconic symbols coupled with literacy in the 'traditional' sense, along with the permissible attitudes towards form and typos, and its informality, many people might view the email form as a decline in literacy.
But if more and more people are participating in literacy events - whether they use a 'standard' form of language or not - isn't that a surge in literacy?
I would propose that this high school student read at least excerpts of or cases within the following which I think are accessible, maybe a bit of guidance is necessary:
 Gallego, Margaret A. and Sandra Hollingsworth (Eds.) (2000). What counts as literacy? (ISBN:0-8077-3972-3)
Anzaldua, Gloria (1987). Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza (2nd Ed) (ISBN: 1-879960-56-7).
I agree that we need to preserve what we regard as standard forms, but nourishing all forms allows us to have many different voices in a variety of contexts.
Karen
 Peter Smagorinsky <smago@coe.uga.edu> wrote:I got this inquiry today from someone who attended a talk I gave last fall
in Atlanta. Can anyone help me recommend books or articles that are
accessible to a bright high school kid on what we might call new literacy
studies? thanks,Peter