Re: CHAT and doctoral education

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 09:36:37 PST

Your query comes at a good time, Don, at least for me.
Here at UCSD we are, for external political reasons unfortunately,
and without a school of ed, starting an EDD in Learning and Development
that will be oriented to current practitioners with masters degrees
who will be doing individualized research for theses based on their
local practices or some problem that grows out of them. There is a
description at the ucsd/tep web-page which I can try to locate if you
can't hit it in 30 secs by starting at www.ucsd.edu.

I thought it very telling that in his discussion in recent ed researcher
that Slavin (I think) said that his ed psych text was useless to teachers
(this was in context of new "science based evidence" debate). We have
been arguing for about 30 years now that there are deep reasons for
the irrlevance of AERA-style ed psych for teachers, so coming from
a positivistic leader this was quite a statement.

I mention this because maybe the carnegie initiative and discussion
around it is of special relevance not only here at UCSD, but perhaps
more generally.

Silence on xmca is highly correlated with the rich, generous, and
highly educational discourse on the xmca course. I am a little surprised
that this has become an either/or thing because there is only partial
overlap between participation in the two endeavors. The whole matter
is certainly grist for someone's phd thesis.

Thanks again for the interesting initiative.
mike