Re: [ch-sig] King's ideas

From: Pedro R Portes (prport01@louisville.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 16:01:51 PST

Bill, King et al,

I totally concur with King's take n this. My brief experience as
officer in DIV. C. left me quite discouraged with respect to meaningful
change, in other words, that org is self-righteous as hell. Access to
the SS committe seems closely guarded and one of the requirements to be
selected seems to be ignorance re. SS and her work.
I think some form of collective action is long overdue and what has
been proposed seems a good 1st step.
I suggest that this thread and/or future ones on this issue be filtered
to the AREA list serve DIV. C., perhaps with some info. re SS, re.
conflicts of interest. for starters etc
Unfortunately I will miss you all in Chicago but will reactivate soon
after, hopefully in time for the following annual meeting in mike's
backyard.
pedro
>>> Bill Barowy <wbarowy@attbi.com> 02/24/03 11:51AM >>>
It's worth much more than $.02, King! I think what we just exchanged
is a
good example of different perspectives along the the newbie/oltimer
lines but
sharing the chat framework. I think your offering of the
contradictions
raised in changing the scope of the Scribner award, based upon the
cultural
capital earned through your past participation, are right on.

AERA, as you know, has sanctioned each SIG offering an award, and
presently
CHSIG has none. This would be a good candidate.

Does anybody else want to support or express concerns with King's
ideas?
Please feel free to write in here or privately to me and i'm assuming
to King
or Mike as well. With AERA coming up, there may be an opportunity to
meet,
and I expect to be there Tues-Thurs.

bb