request for information/child dev

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 10:17:21 PST

Dear Colleagues,

I would appreciate your help vis a vis two developmental psych issues,
one small, one large.

The small one: In what publication does Jim Gee make the argument that the
current emphasis (among some) on activity-based educational arrangements
derives from changes in the nature of work that emphasize initiative from
below and teamwork?

The big one: What are important lines of research that presumably do NOT
depend upon strictly school-like tasks that have expanded our knowledge
of cognitive development in middle childhood in the past few years? Is
there any recent work on cognitive development in middle childhood from
non-industrialized countries that you find striking?

I am interpreting cognitive in this context quite broadly and would be
delighted for any news on converging changes in cognitive and socioemotional
development.

mike
PS-- The lead story in the NY Times seems to indicate some effect of yesterday's
outpouring rejecting the rush to war. Drops of water turn a mill, singly none.