Re: leaving education behind

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 12:02:03 PST

In a message dated 1/20/2003 12:18:12 PM Central Standard Time,
mcole@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

> you lost me eric.
> Perhaps a bumper sticker sums it up. "Stop the Bushit."
> mike

I am not opposed to literature, philosophy, mathematics or any of the other
disciplines but I certainly am opposed to power structures that dictate that
which is important to read, compute, or debate.

My personal experience with getting licensed to teach in Minnesota was
distasteful and if I were expected to teach in the elementary school that I
was assigned to student teach at I would have left the profession. The
American federation of teachers reports that many others like myself are
leaving the profession soon after finishing their degrees. For me it was not
pay or the students but the uncooperating teacher and principal at the school
that left a bad taste in my mouth. My suggestions for lesson plans were not
accepted and I was told the lesson plans I would teach and how I was to
teach, never mind that I felt robotic and was very out of character with the
students. mY previous 8 years of experience did not matter in the eyes of
the teacher and none of my suggested methods for classroom management or
daily lessons were acceptable.

Having read many government publications that use unconventional references I
agree that most policy papers merely forward a political agenda but from my
own personal experience with teacher certification I have to wonder how it is
on the one hand I can be called routinely by graduates thanking me and
requesting further assistance and on the other hand I can be considered a
failure in the 'student teacher' arena?

What is bullshit, one's own personal experience or research generated data?
eric