Re: leaving education behind

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 09:15:43 PST

In a message dated 1/20/2003 9:15:25 AM Central Standard Time,
mcole@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

> The December 9, 2002 "Educational Researcher" has a devastating critique of
> Bush policies based on his own bs about scientific research by
> Darling-Hammon
> and Young. Worth broad distribution.

My own experiences with teacher certification justify a look at what is
currently being done to get quality people into public classrooms. Notice I
didn't say train because I am a firm believer that no college education or
anything else trains a person to be EFFECTIVE in assisting public education
students to PARTICIPATE in their education. It is foolhardy for college
professors to impart their credentials onto the REALITY of a classroom.
[ Many college professors are effective teachers but this alone does not
qualify one to tell another how they will be successful]
Whether the 'scientifically-based research' used in the education secretaries
report is peer reviewed articles or not the statistic remains that half of
the people who graduate with a teaching degree from a credentialed college
have left the profession after three years. That is not scientific evidence
that is just purely shameful!

eric