Re: EDUCATION REVIEW

From: Willow Brown (willow_brown@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 19:41:19 PST

     Thanks for the review of the book about "invisible children". I am facilitating a collaborative action research project that brings a diverse group of educators together to study and act upon the problem of racism in schools in our northern Canadian community (Whitehorse, Yukon). I just came from an initial meeting where we named our project "Erasing Racism", and began to address the problem of denial by collecting examples of what, in our experience, racism has looked like, sounded like, or felt like. We agreed that the most insidious form of racism appears to be simply ignoring the marginalized group and their perspectives, needs, potentials, etc.Ideas from this book have potential to contribute to our developing awareness, and to help us understand that the marginalization of First Nations (Aboriginal) children is only one aspect of a larger societal problem across North America.

      About the "quietness" of the forum....I am here and listening, but need to be finishing my dissertation, so I won't write much for a while. Thanks, everyone, for your experiences and your willingness to share them. Willow Brown

Live, laugh and learn!