Re: test

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 10:20:01 PST

Hey! I forgot the fun of grandchildren. You are right.

I got a letter from a teacher trainer at a CC who said that teacher
health is deteriorating at an alarming rate. Vomitting in the middle
of the day but not from flu, from anxiety. Sleeplessness. And, of
course, stopping teaching content to teach to the test at the end of
the year-- which changes from year to year so no real work could get
done with it even it it mean't something.

And of course, SURPRISE! W thinks Michigan is being unfair. Wow would
I like to write a Dickensonian Christmas Carol staring W, with a bit
role for his friends. A happy ending might be to avoid some wars and
the starvation of 16 million people in the horn of africa.

There is this great scene in Kundera's *Book of Laughter and Forgetting*
where the protagonist (if you can call his characters pro anything)
stops for gas (Czechoslovakia- mid '60's) and the guy next to him vomits.
The guy says, "I know exactly what you mean." Acuerdo.
mike