Re: test

From: mcole@weber.ucsd.edu
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 15:32:51 PST

Quoting ediaz@csusb.edu:
There is an exceptional lull which I attribute to the fact that many people
are paying attention to the xmca course and Erlbaum has failed to post the
paper we wanted to discuss and no one will take any initiative to take up
topics or questeions of concern to them.

Esteban-- What are the cuts in California doing to your programs of education
for Latino kids and coopeations with the Imperial Valley?

The LA Times had an interesting first page story on how there are now LOTS
of people writing hip hop reading software. This is fascinating to me because
Wade Boykin has argued for "verve" as essential in the learning of African
American kids and Juanita Cole, who did her doctoral work with Wade, is doing
a post-doc with me using, perhaps, "culturally appropriate software" designed
by Nicole Pinkard who has done some great work in this area. Its odd to see
work from LCHC in 1970's on the front page of the LA Times as News in 2003.
Made me think of a younger Esteban Diaz who did research checking on the
supposed "person oriented" nature of Latino kids learning. Can you remember that
far back?

The damndest things come round again, and what's really odd is people think
they are new! One of the rare compensations for aging.
mike