Re: cepa

From: Molly Freeman (mollyfreeman@telis.org)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 11:08:23 PST

I think I am from an 'old school.' To me, the citation from Natanson
regarding Mead's view that "persons are process....." is about the
interdependence of internal and external conversations. Those conversations
that remain internal to ourselves and those we have with the 'other.' I
take this to mean and have used it to explain how others are part of us
insofar as our conversations, relationships with them become part of our
internal conversations. The I is transformed by the part of the me that
does communicate/interact with others.(Simmel, Mead, James). Indeed,
tracking of the internal conversations is more than I want to go into here
and now. I use this concept of conversations to explain how what we do and
with whom we interact and share our thoughts, our lives, does matter. It is
a way of sharing with students that what they think matters.....to them and
to others. It is an attitude that introduces students to subject matter as
conversations and invites students to join the conversation. This attitude
is consistent with Mikhail Bakhtin's concept of dialogue as part of the
prosaics of each moment.50 According to Bakhtin, polyphony challenges the
model of truth that conveys there is only one truth [and] that this truth
stands objectively separate from the one who thinks it or voices it.
(Morson & Emerson, 1990)

50 Morson and Emerson (1990) also relate the Lorenz finding to Bakhtin's
prosaics:

Prosaics focuses on quotidian events that in principle elude reduction to
underlyinglaws or systems. ...To appreciate what Bakhtin had in mind,
...consider the new science of chaos.... and the demonstration by Edward
Lorenz that long-term weather forecasting was in principle impossible. The
reason....sensitive dependence on initial conditionswhich means that
infinitesimal differences rapidly multiply to produce major differences in
result. .....It appears that nature, as well as culture, may work by
Tolstoyan tiny alterations---by prosaics.(p.33)"

  I have not been 'schooled' in CHAT. I see recursion across conversations
in CHAT, sociology of knowledge, symbolic interaction, (Mead, Dewey, James,
Durkheim, Goffman et al) and complex systems analysis. I salute the efforts
of CHAT to identify elements/details of the process ...

Molly