Re: Hisaab and arithmetic

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 18:13:51 PST

King;

The field I work in is one of these transitions you discuss and it is an
extremely complicated affair. The company line from my boss and the
administration is that we are to connect our special education graduates to
the community supports available for adults with disabilities, one of them
being the government payroll of SSI. I on the other hand view this as the
last resort after all attempts have been made to assist the student in
finding competetive employment. Standardized tests do have a place in the
adult world but they do not assess all the abilities required of a successful
adult. What is becoming increasingly scary in the world of transition
services is that the unions have bought into this standardized testing
screening and as a result doors to high paying trades jobs don't begin with
hands-on skills but begin with the 'aprentice' being able to navigate the
paper trail devised by the union. Helena's paper did a fabulous job of
describing this activity in practice.

eric