Re: Hello

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 14:30:01 PST

I'd like to add that context here is a little more than what, when and where.
One key phrase from Tudge is how the "theory as a whole" need be taken into
account. In Tudge's statement, children's *interaction* is also referenced
and this is an essential element that moves away from an environmental
determinism. Vygotsky's approach is developmental-experimental, and the
context includes the orientation of the adult as teacher/researcher who
accounts for the actions of the children with flexibility into her own
actions. The theory, as a whole, is part of the psychological orientation of
the teacher, which makes a world of mediational difference from a simple
application of systematic instruction e.g. application of curriculum
materials.

And if the Vygotsky scholars disagree with this, it is sure someone will speak
up.

bb