Re: estranged learning

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 13:15:27 PST

I have a much greater understanding of Marx after reading this article. I
have often struggled with how he supplants reality and doesn't allow for me
as the reader to believe my own reality. My opinion of Marx is that he always
minimalized the status of the capitalist in order to maximize labor as all
encompassing. This piece by Lave and McDermott has taken the onus off of
labor and placed learning in its place, the philosophy translates much better
for me in this fashion. Because I myself view knowledge as a societal
construct it is much easier for me to conclude that the non-learner (the
credentialed one) can decide how it is the learner (the non-credentialed one)
must behave in order to achieve the status of being a credentialed one. In
contrast it is very difficult for me to view capital as a societal construct,
capital somehow holds intrinsic value free from anybody's subjective glance.
I appreciate the opportunity to read and learn from two greats in the
cultural-historical-social-anthropological-psychological-educational field.

eric