activity theory applications

From: Mary VanDerRiet (VanDerRiet@nu.ac.za)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 00:19:25 PST

I am interested in drawing together a list of articles which use activity theory as a framework. I notice that Helena Worthen's article is archived on xmca, but I wondered if there are other examples that I don't know about. As a novice activity theory user, it often helps to have examples of these applications to help one think through the theory.

I am also interested in two particular areas of application which I have not seen any evidence of:
* activity theory as used in health behaviour interventions (for example, in South Africa, a key issue is HIV/Aids intervention and prevention. Activity theory provides a way of examining mediators of what is usually seen as primarily 'individual' action)
* activity theory as used in understanding the process of bringing about social change (for example, in rural areas in South AFrica, many socio-economic interventions are made and often fail; I am interested in how can one draw from activity theory as a frame for understanding the contradictions and tensions in particular systems in these contexts which obstruct change and transformation)

Any comments and or suggestions would be welcome

Mary van der Riet
University of Natal, South Africa