2003-Jean Piaget Society Meeting

From: Artin Goncu (goncu@uic.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 11:10:26 PST

Dear All:

It occured to me that I did not send any substantive message to xmca about
the next meeting of the Jean Piaget Society on play and development. Below
I have some general information for you, and you can find out about the
details on the JPS website (www.piaget.org). If you are interested in
submitting a proposal the deadline is Dec 12.

Best wishes for the new year, Artin

The 33rd Annual Meeting of the Jean Piaget Society will bring together
psychological, cultural, and evolutionary perspectives on play in an effort
to provide an integral picture of play and its role in human development.
The interdisciplinary and international invited program (organized by Artin
Göncü of the University of Illinois at Chicago and Suzanne Gaskins of
Northeastern Illinois University), will feature leading play scholars who
are struggling to bring forward holistic accounts of play as meaningful
activity, and the player as an active agent.The meeting will include a
special feature seminar on Piaget's Play, Dreams, and Imitation facilitated
by several leading scholars, Terrance Brown, Greta Fein, and Brian
Sutton-Smith. We look forward to your participation in discussions of how
to establish an agenda for play research in this decade. See you in Chicago!

Plenary Speakers
Marc Bornstein (The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development)
Artin Göncü (University of Illinois at Chicago)
Paul L. Harris (Harvard Graduate School of Education)
Vivian Paley (Author)
Anthony Pellegrini (Univ. of Minnesota) and Peter Smith (Univ. of London)
Marjorie Taylor (University of Oregon)

Invited symposia chairs and themes

Justine Cassell (MIT) —Play and technology
Cyndi Dell Clark (Penn State Delaware County) —Play and its therapeutic uses
Suzanne Gaskins (Northeastern Illinois Univ) —Play and culture
Robert Mitchell (Eastern Kentucky Univ) —Animal and human play
Angeline Lillard (University of Virginia) —Play and cognition
Ageliki Nicolopoulou (Lehigh Univ) —Play and narrative
Artin Goncu, Ph.D
Professor
College of Education M/C 147
University of Illinois at Chicago