Online Course

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 12:49:43 PST

Dear XMCA friends,

I'm just catching up on the Online Course development. Please ignore
the following points if final decisions have been made regarding course
e-mail and online tools.

And my apologies in advance for sending this message to the whole list
for anyone uninterested in course logistics (please read no further if
that is you ;-)). I'm just not sure the right folks to send to at this
point. Quick offers:

(1) I can quickly and easily provide an easily maintained non-commercial
listserv if that is the preferred route (this is one I can administer
directly and/or provide administrative access for others, directly).

(2) For times when file uploading and sharing are desired I can also
provide a WebBoard and might even be enticed to set up the new open
source Scout Portal which would allow development of an online
repository of submitted resources, etc..

(3) In lieu of WebBoard, but in order to upload files easily I can
alternatively provide a Swiki to accompany the listserv. The benefit of
a Swiki, besides file uploading is that it permits group editing of web
pages online without HTML knowledge providing affordances for commentary
on files, uploading images for display, etc. Further the editing
capabilities open the potential for developing group authored documents
during the course.

(4) And I would happily provide a Course Communications Central homepage
that would provide easy access to any/all of these options and
instructions/support as needed (or would develop/help develop one to sit
on someone else's server).

In Peace,
K.