"Playing"

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 09:42:46 PST

I am looking forward to this. I will "play" at my current level, which means
reading and occasionally speaking up, often to emphasize the theme that runs
through a lot of my contributions to xmca: the strength of AT as an analytic
framework for understanding activity that cycles over time through conflict,
opposition, divergent goals and motives operating in common territory (in my
case, work) -- and moves dialectically forward (if we're lucky).

My big question will keep coming back: does AT work best as an analytic
framework for planning a project and predicting/forseeing the evolution of a
project as it moves along? What happens if we try to use it afterwards, as a
way of looking backwards and explaining what happened? And, if we use it as an
analytic framework in advance of activity, when does it blend into our
methodology? When is something theory and when is it methodology?

Those are the questions that I carry around with me.

I am also looking forward to a discussion of what we have chosen as key
documents. I hope that this discussion leaves footprints that we can look back
on and say, "We talked about that on such-and-such a date and most people seemed
to think that x means y, " or stuff like that.

Thanks -- Helena Worthen, Chicago