Re: purpose for making distinction Re: cultural artifacts/psych tools

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 17:45:25 PST

In a message dated 11/16/2002 7:54:01 AM Central Standard Time,
VYGOTSKY@CHARTER.NET writes:

> Yet, Eric's concern is interesting. Many disabilities were brought
> about by educational concerns. How in a given educational context this
> or that individuals needs are not being met. If a child is functioning
> satifactory in the classroom it is very unlikely they will be classified
> with a disability (emotional and learning disabilities). For
> emotional, if it is not seen in more than two contexts (school,
> community, home) they will not be classified as such. I had a girl last
> year who we got classified as ED in fifth grade. She was violent, ran
> away from home, suicide attempts etc. In second grade she did not get
> this classification because while the behavior was experienced at
> school, community, with natural mother, but it was not experienced by
> the foster parent who had her for two weeks.

Nate;

The entire irony lays at the feet of the transition philosophy. Transition
is the federally mandated special education service that states schools need
to address the issue of removing the educational supports that have been in
place since the student is first assessed as needing the supports. A common
systemic problem lies at the heart of my concern because assesments are still
viewed as 'educational needs' but the law states transition services needs to
help the student succeed in the community. I don't know about you Nate but
unless I need to for professional reasons the classroom model is not my
community life.

"What is the distinction between "educational" needs and "community" needs?
This would parrallel very nicely with Vygotsky's distinction between
'scientific' concepts and 'everyday' concepts.

Make sense?
eric