Re: purpose for making distinction Re: cultural artifacts/psych tools

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 04:26:24 PST

Eric,
At 22:31 15/11/02 -0500, you wrote:
>IN many cases the disabled person will function much better in 'everyday'
>culture as compared to the 'scientific' culture of the classroom.

I'd be interested in what "the disabled person" is. Some of your thoughts
sparked my interest in foreign language learners, who I don't define as
disabled but as highly enclosed from the dominant cultural groups who use
the language, who aspire to be members of 'other' discourse communities,
but who do not have the linguistic tools with which to mediate that
membership. I wonder what parallels could be drawn between the learners
that you are working with and those who I am working with.

Phil