Re: more from eric

From: N (VYGOTSKY@CHARTER.NET)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 16:00:06 PST

Vygotsky often referred back to cultural artifacts - totem pole for
example - to explicate his emerging view of sign. Maybe because an
artifacts purpose is partly to help us remember, so in that sense it
always a sign.

I see it very much along the lines of function. I could use a pitch
fork to pitch the hay (tool) but then I could stick in the ground to
remember where that big hole is (sign) but anywho its a cultural
artifact either way.

I like to think of a stop sign. One could I suppose pull it out of the
ground and use it as a shovel, but we don't.