Re: Teaching practices

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 17:51:29 PST

Judy,

At the beginning of the hike it will be about where they may find one,
excitement about spotting one, is this one like the one we found by the
lakeshore, are there any in the woods off the trail.

The interesting conversation is as they are looking through the field guides
trying to agree if two mushrooms are the same species or not. "This one
isn't as dark", or "this one is shorter" or "look at how this one grows in
clumps". "I wonder if we can eat this one with our dinner" is a common
phrase I hear. Because I have quite a few years of experience finding
mushrooms I can be of assistance in hastening the foray if we have gone for
over 30 minutes without finding any. I can say things like "mushrooms like
to grow on hillsides where they have well drained soil", or "it's common to
find mushrooms in mowed grass."

I must add Judy that the frustrating aspect is that because of our transition
aspect there is usually a different group of students camping each time I am
always in the introductory stage with the students and I have yet to have had
student provide the quidance when searching for mushrooms.

One thing I am trying this year at the school is birdwatching, we have a bird
feeder and some field guides and as the year progresses I hope to get some
students interested in this so that they may lead the charge for birding. Of
note, when I put up the birdfeeder I attempted numerous times to illicit
students help and finally one day I just went outside and started digging a
hole. Next thing I know I have 4 students outside telling me how best to get
the post in. Wouldn't you know the job was completed by the students.

Thank you for your interest,
eric