RE: Gordon's Land Yacht Movie

From: Judith Vera Diamondstone (JDiamondstone@Clarku.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 11:01:11 PST

Gordon, as someone who has taught post-secondary/ grad school for a number
of years, the hobby horse you point to is not only yours:

Remember Vygotsky's advice on teaching writing: "teaching
should be organized in such a way that reading and writing are necessary
for something S Writing should be incorporated into a task that is
relevant and necessary for life" (1978, pp.117-118).

Ask my grad students. I've also had my teaching failures! I know the
difference between being able to TEACH what & in a way you believe in and
and being constrained to do otherwise. The point is that institutional
supports and infrastructure help to make good ideas realizable.

Judy