Re: mediation, symmetry, and ANT

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 08:33:33 PST

Dear people:

This interaction between Ana and Gordon illuminates Gordon's article for
me.

I first read the article through, skipping the pages of transcript. At
that level of reading, I appreciated the extension of Arne Ratheil's
participation, enjoyed the diagrams, but wondered what all the fuss was
about -- why didn't Gordon simply state that since the two girls were
engaged in joint activity, there were two "subjects" on the left side of
the triangle? I felt mildly irritated that this simple solution had
escaped him.

Then I read the transcript and realized I had missed the point (bad
reading habits, to put it mildly).

Then I read this message, below. I benefited from hearing Ana point to
"that brief moment" when the object gets created, and then refers to the
network or matrix (I'd use the word ecology except that the list has
moved on to Alfred Lang's semiotic ecology, and I'm not sure how these
two uses of the word fit together) of cultural work that enfolds that
moment, and benefited from Gordon's response:

    "The various
dimensions of this activity, which go into this brief instance range
from
symbols/tools that are made by a culture over a long period of time and
by
many people, to the very small moment in which a new meaning is created:

language they use; books they use; school as an institution where
children
like them can engage in this type of activity; clothes they wear; their
own
personal realtionship and the brief history of the sicence class..."

Much of my work revolves around conflict: mutually conflicting needs,
demands, positions, goals, etc -- (at this very moment I am interrupted
by a phone call from a union steward representing the Adult Educators in
the Chicago City Colleges system, who may be going on strike soon) and
HOW I WISH I could tape a passage of negotiation in which such a "brief
moment in which an object gets created."

A thought: sometimes the object that gets created -- the consummated
racheting forward of comprehension -- is not friendly. For example,
think of people meeting together, talking, and discovering that what the
other party really means is an indication that the paths of the two
parties will diverge even more sharply. Certainly, they understand each
other; certainly, the "object" that is created through the discourse
changes the choices of action that the parties now can take -- but they
won't be building a land yacht together.

It's pretty unlikely that I would ever be able to video tape a moment
like this in a real labor-management negotiation. There are teaching
videos that reproduce scenes like that, though, that we use in classes
and that people acknowledge are lifelike. But they are performances, not
the real thing. Too bad -- I think it would be tremendously interesting
to study such a moment (either a jointly created moment of successful
negotiation, or some other turning point in negotiation) in the same
depth as is provided by Gordon's article.

Helena Worthen
Chicago Labor Education Program