cognition and emotion

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 16:26:17 PST

As I am reading this discusson, I am simultaneously reading Lois Bloom's most recent monograph on intentionality and language development. Lois argues for the
centrality and ur connectedness of cognition, emotion, intentionality, social
interaction.

Its well worth reading (Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Dev,
V66, No, 44, 2001.

I mention this because a very striking characteristic of students describing
their teaching/learning interadctions in our experimental afterschool activies
is that they are COMPLETELY UNABLE to descibe the interactions without fusing
cognition and emotion.

As I have written in the case of humpty-dumpty, the main goal should be to
keep that dumb egg off the wall. After they have been analytically rendered
assunder, everyone has to struggle put them together again. Like the material
and the ideal, they are primally fused. Clever as we are, we create ways to
get ourselves paid a lot of money to solve pseudo problems, like ./..... how
are cognition and emotion related.

Scrambled in so cal
mike