Re: I think it is a mistake

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 17:40:50 PST

I concur wholeheartedly with Bill. The problem lies when terms become
reified without a coordination of perspectives on that term i.e.
positioning the term within its varied contexts of use and making clear its
selected referential/contextual meaning for which it has been selected to
represent. This is certainly a major problem in my field: second language
education, in which terms from bygone and shifting paradigms are employed
to represent fundamentally new or repositioned constructs. Hence a whole
corpus of terms from computers and computational theory/information
processing are still (!) in vogue to discuss/explore/interpret language
learning albeit through different lenses. As Bill says, the challenge is to
collaboratively work to negotiate the meanings that are useful to us,
something I am finding an incredible challenge when following the
discussions of Gordon's paper, and in my attempts to interpret my classroom
data and relate those interpretations to others' work. I am still very
foggy on when is a sign and when is a tool, and I sighed relief when Albert
raised this a few days ago.

Phil