Re: Dialogue and Activity >>> SemEco

From: Vera John-Steiner (vygotsky@unm.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 11:37:45 PST

 Dear Jay,
I,too, have been struggling on focussing more of affect. First, because it
came up as an important issue in collaboration, see Chaoter 5 in Creative
Collaboration, then the article we wrote on "The Gift of Confidence" in
Wells and Claxton. But I am now thinking of being a little more systematic,
conceiving of affect as the interpersonally and socially mediated
development of simple, basic emotions (such as fear, pleasure, etc.) This
would provide a parallel to some of Vygotsky's notions about cognitive
development. The idea is raw, but I would love to get a response as to its
potential,
Vera