Re: CHAT as glossolalia

From: Gordon Wells (gwells@cats.ucsc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 18:19:52 PST

>Bill;
>
>To piggyback a bit on my earlier post I am still struggling with
>getting my advisor to accept my master's thesis precisely becasue of
>chat's qualitative outlook without specifically analyzing any
>quantitative units. Fortunately luria's uzbekistan study; scribner
>& cole's study as well as the cole, glick, & traupman study done in
>the late 60's have quantifiable data that supports the qualifiable
>arguement chat furthers.
>
>Is there any recent work that addresses the same issues these
>landmark studies instigated or is it off the radar for funding?
>
>eric

Eric,

You might have a look at: Nassaji, H. and Wells, G. (2000)What's the
use of triadic dialogue?: An investigation of teacher-student
interaction. Applied Linguistics, 21 (3): 376-406. This paper adopts
a quantitative approach to the examination of whole-class discussions
in the classrooms of the DICEP teachers. A longer version with some
qualitative analysis of particular episodes can be found on my
webpage.

Gordon

--
Gordon Wells