Re: mediation, meaning, and units

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 16:31:11 PST

Bill;

This idea of teacher as mediator is of interest to me because of the concept
of comparing it to learning outside of the classroom. It is easy to envision
what mediation appears like in the classroom but then what is the comparison
outside of the classroom, specifically speaking to quantifiable units. I
have quizzed mike about his cross-cultural studies and how they may speak to
this comparison but have been unsuccessful in getting anyone else on xmca to
engage in this discussion. Perhaps qualitative discussions are the culture
of this listserve and quantifiable units are to be left to administrators and
accountants but it does appear to me that if chat supporters are ever to make
a dent in the establishment then an attempt must be made to move away from
qualitative discussions and to what specific quantities are measured in a
classroom v. everyday learning environment.

eric