Re: Fwd: Congress Passes Bill to Overhaul Federal Education Research

From: Jay Lemke (jllbc@cunyvm.cuny.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 20:15:57 PST

I am actually letting my email program reproduce the earlier postings on
this below, since it's been a while ...

I was just at the Learning Sciences conference where these issues were much
discussed, with much disgust.

It's important to be clear that the current US administration is only using
"scientific rigor" as a smokescreen for seeking favor with small groups of
ultra-conservative voters who are influential in the Republican party ...
what they really want to do, and insiders are very clear about this, is to
keep funding away from education research that would conflict with their
conservative agenda ... particularly socioculturally based research that
argues for cultural diversity and changes in political priorities for
educational funding based on social justice considerations. These people
will not pay any attention to research that is "rigorous" by their
out-of-date criteria if it does not also agree with their political agendas.

During the last, similar administration (not Bush, Sr., but Reagan), we saw
something of the same approach, an effort to mobilize research in favor of
political agendas in education. I did a critique of that effort as an
example of technocratic discourse and showed how the research itself was
misused and distorted when it was made to serve policy/political ends. (A
version of this forms a chapter in my book Textual Politics.) In that case,
however, other researchers provided contrary results and there was a war of
the experts that resulted more or less in stalemate. This administration
learned the lesson and is now deliberately trying to oppose any research
efforts that might produce contrary findings to what they already believe.

They have a very clever rhetorical strategy, couching what they are doing
in terms of make education a more evidence-based practice. This was a key
recommendation of the national academy of sciences, who also introduced the
comparisons with medicine and agriculture. The NAS was looking for big
money funding for education research, comparable to the investment in the
other areas. They may now regret the use that is being made of their
argument. They did not really say that education should use the same
research methods, only that US society should be making comparable
investments in education research, and that there should be some really
large-scale studies to try to settle some outstanding issues. In fact most
education research is on such a small scale that it is pretty much
inconclusive. Really large-scale, well-designed research would show us, for
example, how different segments of the student population do NOT respond in
the same way to different approaches, or how long it actually takes for a
high school age immigrant student to learn enough English to learn science
as well in English as they could in their home language. We would also find
out that a lot of the easy solution programs for improving reading skills
show only short-term, not long-term gains, and make little difference in
the kind of reading needed in specialized subjects.

The kind of research the administration wants to see is input-output
research, which already assumes that all kinds of students respond in the
same way to the same "treatments" ... they don't want studies which can
show that there is no "best practice" for all students, or studies that
show HOW students and teachers respond to curricular and pedagogical
innovations ... they want research that looks only at test score outcomes
... and so cannot criticize the kind of idiotic testing methods that can
give mass results cheaply. They want research which only makes sense if
your idea of how education should be is uniform, standardized,
sheep-from-goat sorting. Their approach will have the effect of both
standardizing and trivializing education, while covertly preserving the
class advantages of their own children.

The one progressive feature of their program is the effort to close the
test-score gap between social classes (which in effect means mostly poorer
African-American and Latino students vs. Euro-American middle class
students). I don't think they will succeed in this, because they cannot
imagine that students with such significant sociocultural differences might
actually need different educational approaches. But even if they do manage
to create a pairing of tests and teaching that produces greater equality of
test-scores, what the tests measure is so unrelated to what gives
middle-class educated students their advantages in the economy that it will
make no real social difference. It would be interesting to see what would
happen at such a next stage ... the universities would then have to admit
unprepared students who seemed to be prepared based on the test scores. So
someone will have to be at work inventing new kinds of admissions criteria
to keep places preferentially open to the children of the nation's more
politically powerful classes. We are not going to see an expansion in
public university capacity and a two-tier system (the other "solution")
because public higher education has already passed the limit of what
top-bracket taxpayers are willing to fund.

Bertie Russell famously quipped, "Most people would rather die than think.
And many do." The same can be said of nations.

JAY.

JAY L. LEMKE
Educational Studies
University of Michigan