RE: Dialogue and Activity

From: Gordon Wells (gwells@cats.ucsc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 09:02:40 PST

I am reading your reactions and suggestions with interest. It is
indeed a privilege to have so many thoughtful people pay so much
attention to what one has written and to be helped, as a result, to
extend one's own understanding. So, although I shall not reply to
each suggestion, you can think of me as at one of the 'S' points on
fig. 5, with identity and uderstanding changing over time as I read
and respond "in my head" to your comments.

I agree with the criticism that has been made about the apparently
"static" nature of the representation of what is clearly an emergent
and constantly developing activity. But as Bill, I think, pointed
out, a print journal cannot "show" movement.

However, I had been thinking - as Ana suggested - of making the video
clip available. I shall try attaching it to this message and, if that
doesn't work - it didn't - I will try getting it to Peggy at UCSD to
see if she can mount it on the MCA webpage. In either case, please
treat the video as covered by the rules of anonymity and
confidentiality that should be accorded to research collaborators who
do not know that they are going to be viewed online.

Gordon

--
Gordon Wells
UC Santa Cruz.