objects are material?

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 19:30:28 PDT

Hi All-- When I try to get to Gordon's paper online, I cannot find it. The
route to access is a myster to me.

So is the following statement in Gordon's abstract:

 Activity theory as formulated by Leont'ev and expanded by Engestrvm has tended to emphasize activity systems in which the objects to which subjects' actions are directed are material in form.

First of all, I do not understand the material/(ideal?) division in Yrjo's
work. I thought he followed Ilyenkov in arguing the interpenetration/perhaps
fusion of ideal and material. Second, Yrjo's own empirical work emphasizes
motives/activities as "beyond the horizon" and very often as new systems of
coordination where dialogue and polylog are central.

So, with the advantage of being about to flee to Gordon's natal country where
the sun is promised not to shine for the duration of my trip, I would like
to ask a couple of questions.

1) Where in Engestrom's writing is the material/ideal split so clear?
2) Where in anyone's experinece is there discourse sans materiality?
3) How the hell does one get to the article through xmca!

(signed)
About to head over the horizon perpetual student
mc