Re: why not?

From: Ricardo Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 09:10:48 PDT

Thank you all.

Finally I got a copy.
I should had clicked over the floppy disk icon of pdf file toolbar.
I was trying to do it clicking over my toolbar under archive title!
Those things...

But, talking a little more on dropping down trees to make paper - and to
make a paper?

Even when there are a sustainable structure behind cellulose industry -
rational plantation of eucalyptus - this has a great impact over the
enviroment biodiversity and over sociocultural ways of production and
living.

In Bahia, near Teixeira de Freitas, for example, all region around the city
was transformed in a massive eucalyptus monoculture. The south of Bahia is
the most cellulose productor of Brazil. There are three big cellulose
industries "making paper" in the area - originally an atlantic florest with
great biodiversity.

So, all people who originally owned small properties and developed kinds of
"familiar agriculture" had to sold their land to those industries. This made
them migrate to the "big" cities of the region like Tx. de Freitas. Most of
them were not prepared to fight for a place in local work market not to
offer services with the quality asked by local market. Now, what can be
observed is that those people live around the city in "favelas" under
subhuman conditions.

Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu
Professor-pesquisador
Universidade do Estado da Bahia em Teixeira de Freitas - Uneb X
http://www.ricardojapiassu.pro.br