RE: AT approach to bi-cultural and bi-lingual development

From: Chang Weining Chu (swkweicc@nus.edu.sg)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 21:45:23 PDT

Dear colleagues and friends,
I too am interested in the AT approach to bi-cultural and bi-lingual development. We, in Singapore, are a multicultural and multi-lingual society. We have a very efficient English-medium edcation system; but most people's home languages are some form of an Asian language, Chinese in several southern dialects(Among the 76% of Ethnic Chinese approximately 60% of them speak Chinese at home), Malay (12%), Tamil & Hindi (5-6%), and the remainder are mostly Eurasians. We are currently engaged in an empirical research in language (English versus Chinese at home and at school), value socialization, and parenting. I am planning to use the AT approach in this study. I would appreciate any suggestion, comment, and input from colleagues in this network!

Greetings from Singapore!
Weining (Chang)
Psychologist