Logogenesis and Microgenesis

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 01:41:44 PDT

This may be a little off the main topics discussed here, but I was wondering
if anyone was aware of any theoretical or practical work done that relates
microgenetic analysis commonly used within a CHAT perspective with analysis
used by systemic functional linguists - logogenesis? I am specifically
interested in second language development. Logogenesis, as I understand it,
refers to the +ACI-unfolding+ACI- of a spoken text in moment by moment dialogic
relations, and SFLers appear to use 'time depth' as a framework for viewing
language (and other semiotic system) development - logogenesis, ontogenesis
(development of language in the individual), phylogenesis (developments in
language over long periods of history) +AFs-taken from Christie and Unsworth in
Unsworth ed's Researching Language in Schools and Communities+AF0-.

It seems to me that these are complementary views shared by two disciplines
that both foreground social interaction in human development. That is, at
the microgenetic level (say in a classroom language learning task) part of
the analysis can be done by referring to the unfolding of the spoken text -
logogenesis - (with due course paid to other semiotic means, eg
gesture)However, I have not found any literature that brings the two
together. The SFLers (e.g. Halliday, Martin, Matthiessen in Australia) have
done a lot of work describing how genre, register and language project their
+ACI-semiohistories+ACIAOw- although I am reasonably well-read on sociocultural
theory, I have not found any bridges.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have some clues.

Phil Chappell