RE: online seminar

From: david_eddy_spicer@harvard.edu
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 19:17:10 PDT

I like Jim's suggestion of Syllabase. I could also check into using our
homegrown course toolkit here, if getting accounts for outsiders on
Syllabase proved a problem.

I'm interested in roots & fruits readings on CHAT.
Roots:
Whitman's sampler of primary sources:
- Philosophical - Marx, as Jim suggests, Engels; Hegel;
- CH psychology - Vygotsky, Leont'ev, Luria.
Some secondary sources for context:
- Scribner's "Vygotsky's use of history", for example

But with lots of time for picking...
Fruits:
Engestrom, Learning by expanding
Cole, Cultural psychology: some general principles...
other selections from "Perspectives on Activity Theory"

Overall, I'm hoping to come away with a grounding and a sense of the
flowering over the past century, especially the contradictions, debates,
confluences within the CHAT framework. I'm interested in paradigm wars to
the extent that the discussion helps highlight features of that framework.

Finally, if there are other doctoral students in the Boston/Cambridge area
who are thinking of taking part in this, please get in touch with me
offlist so we can think about a local study group.

David