Re: nytimes

From: N (vygotsky@charter.net)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 17:51:58 PDT

No Mike, you don't have to pay - except with information which I'm very
sensitive to part with in these darkest of times.

I made the comment because NYT gives the perception of being part of an
open flow of info - as in the posting of a link - when in fact it isn't.
I was partly darawing out that one in fact has to register (be a member)
and many on a list serve like this may not be. Personally I would rather
part with my pocketbook than this continual demand for personal
information. Now The Guardian and BBC ask me to part with neither- one
can not go wrong with that.

An interesting sidenote to the piece is a censorship case on Cybercrime
(techtv) in which a site by young girls (?) was established which
glorified eating disorders very graphically. Maybe it was part of that
pro-ana support system the article discussed. I think this is very
interesting - in how "disorder" and identity become intertconnected. I
had one little girl (4th grade) last year who was manic, ED (emotionally
disturbed), and probally a future anorexic (refusing to eat except for
trips to bathroom with V8). With this particular girl her disability
was very interconnected with identity. Sort of like the poster in some
LD classrooms about all those great people (Einstein, Bush) who also
were LD (learning disabled). I tend to have mixed feeling on the subject.

--
There is no hope of finding the sources of free action in the lofty realms of the mind or in the depths of the brain. The idealist approach of the phenomenologists is as hopeless as the positive approach of the naturalists. To discover the sources of free action it is necessary to go outside the limits of the organism, not into the intimate sphere of the mind, but into the objective forms of social life; it is necessary to seek the sources of human consciousness and freedom in the social history of humanity. To find the soul it is necessary to lose it.
A.R. Luria

vygotsky@charter.net http://webpages.charter.net/schmolze1/vygotsky/index.html http://marxists.org/subject/psychology/index.htm