Re: test

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 19:53:06 PDT

MISTER baroway writes:
>On Thursday 05 September 2002 03:35 pm, Diane Hodges wrote:
>>
>> you pass the test.
>>

>Well, not really -- one part of the passage was an intentional misquote,

so you were being "clever..." - how clever of you. if this were a "clever"
test, you'd have passed.
;-)

> the
>other reveals a mistake in an online dictionary i did not catch until
>now.

so now you're being ANAL. if this were an ANAL WILL SHAKESPEARE test,
you'd be teaching the class.
;-)

>My own unabridged version from 1880, in print of course, has no such
>mistake.
>
> I leave him to your gracious acceptance, whose
> trial shall better publish his commendation.

This is, like, utterly prophetic in academic realms. wow.

>btw, the suffix "owy" means "from the" or "of the" in polish.
- Okay, but Billy Shakespeare wasn't Polish....

>Thus
[THUS? what?]
>a taboret
>barowy is a bar stool,
- okay so ...

>and a wagon barowy is a car at the end of the train
>that serves drinks.
... and ...right... okay, so, ...

>A barowy tester is a breathalyzer -- in which case i do
>indeed pass!
>
>bb

*serves herself a scotch on the rocks*
okey dokey.You pass. But you aren't Polish .. erm... or a Wagon...
[insert confused and simulatenously humoured emoticon here]
diane

'Lord Ronald said nothing; he flung himself from the room, flung himself
upon his horse and rode madly off in all directions.'
Stephen Leacock,
"Gertrude the Governess, or Simple Seventeen."

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, pointe claire, qc, H9R 3Z2