chatting/ps

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 09:31:10 PDT

Concerning "original" versus "developed/recontextualized/transformed"
versions of Vygotsky or any precursor thinkers:

I think there is value in seeking to understand the meanings of the
initial writings in their own time and place. I think, for example, that
Mohamed's idea of Vygotsky as the Feurbach of Psychology which awaits
its Marx is provocative and would like to see it developed for its
implicaitons.

There is value in keeping original context in mind. Russia in 1925 was
not Russia in 1929 was not Russia in 1931 was not Russia in 1936 was
not Russia in 1942........ Ditto the rest of the world. It makes a
difference to our interpretation of events.

There is value in seeking explicitly to identify transformations that
one is making, in so far as we are aware of them, and being positively
critical about them.

It seems wildly optimistic to expect widespread agreement on any of he
(the) particulars of any of the specific cases. Which gets us back to the
need for continued dialogue.

And so, perhaps, it goes.
mike