chatting

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 09:17:10 PDT

Hi Elina et al-

        I have read several messages without time to assimilate fully, but
I want to take a few minutes before diving into today's work to make a couple
of comments, i hope relevant.

1. Its great there will be an initial tutorial workshop around AERA and
hopefully it will grow in future years. One would be possible at SRCD if there
is critical mass (Soc. for Research in Child Dev). I regret I will not be
at AERA.

2. Concerning a course. I think there is significant interest and significant
uncertainty. The uncertainties regard content and credit.
   concerning credit: My guess is that totally distributed forms of credit,
   including a brass ring for Nate ( :-) ), local course credit, credit
   through local or ucsd extension, etc. will all be explored and exploited.

   concerning content. I think Elina is in a great position to see different
   traditions at work, but so are Spanish speaking colleagues, Nordic
   colleagues, etc. Thanks to the hard work of people like Jim Wertsch and
   Pentti Hakarainnen, a variety of new texts are becoming available in
   English (e.g., Zinchenko on Shpet, Lektorsky and others. Unfortunately,
   despite repeated invitations, Boris Danielovitch Elkonin has not found
   time to forward texts for translation. But that does not mean that such

   texts cannot be obtained and translated.

   Congratulations to Jay for escaping New York and Administration!
mike