one, two, three of my favorites

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 18:21:34 PDT

the first is well written. unpacks the DS method in a teaching experiment,
in relation to the zoped metaphor.

Portes, P. R., Smith, Tracy L., Zady, Madelyn, F. & De. Castillo, Kent (1997)
Extending the Double Stimulation Method in Cultural-Historical Research:
Parent-Child Interaction and Cognitive Change. Mind Culture and activity,
4(2), 108-123.

Another is from the "Soviet Studies in Mathematics Education, Vol. 3: The
Development of Spatial Thinking in Schoolchildren, Mar 1992, 40

Most of the text focusses on the analysis, the systems method in which any
element in the system is considered in the dynamic interrelation with other
elements. The conclusion puts things beautifully "the development of spatial
thinking has been treated here as as social process. It proceeds under the
direct and decisive influence of teaching. but this process is complex and
internallycontradictory, i.e. truly dialectical.

Consequently, the third is any of yrjo's work which draws upon the same
systems method principles -- although the unit of intervention is on a group
(rather than individual) scale -- and to see this really well in any of his
latest works, i had to read "learning by expanding' over and over.

similarly, I've only read the first of my two favorites once or twice, and
there still are many gaps in my understanding, so I'm not prepared to discuss
these in any depth.