Thanks Ricardo

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 17:36:32 PDT

Dear Ricardo-- Many thanks for summarizing Mario Golder's most recent
lecture/discussion.

My impression is that the "troika" stopped functioning about 1932, in any
event, in connection with beginnings of serious repression and the move
to Kharkov. But during and especially after the war and then after Stalin's
death, it began to function as a semi-united collective. But the facts are
not clear.

Yes, many have said that Vygotsky allowed himself to die, seeing the future
and all of its bloodshed before his eyes. This is Luria's story too (which,
of course, does not make it true, but I personally believe it is/was true).
What I do not know, cannot judge, is how much of the disparities that have
been attributed to Vygotsky and Leontiev are real/intellectual and how much
was due to terror/self interest. The two were interwoven so closely, it is
difficult to tell.

The question for us, I think, is to decide for ourselves, for our time and
place (where various forms of state-imposed terror are not so distant as
we like to remember-- Mario survived the Argentine military after all,
in the US we came close to concentration camps in the Nixon era, and
Japanese-Americans experienced them first hand in my state of California)
how to use the treasure trove of ideas bequeathed to us by those who
preceeded us.

mike