names for afterschool activities

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 14:05:50 PDT

Lois and Geoff-- We have stuck to the term "educational enrichment" for
our activities. What we are confronting is a form of de-natured, narrow
skill oriented indoctrination of kids during the school day that follows
perfectly the level 1-level 2 theory of Jensen and his progeny.
Supplementary seems like a reasonable term to me too.

In this regard, the couple of dozen systems around the country are all
running into increasing pressure to stop being enriching (or supplementary)
and start reinforcing the in-school regime. It would be very helpful in
our work to hear if others are experiencing this same counter pressure,
which has many sources, but just-in-time/all-the-time testing appears
to be a leading system.

mike