Activity Theory Soup

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 07:25:48 PDT

Just a few comments I'd like to add that have spawned from backstage
inquiries. I'm making up the rules as we begin, so there is some room for
manuevering here.

First -- about time commitments. There are several things to say. It is a
game, so seeing it through brings that time commitment. HOWEVER, there are
no rules that one player must be one person -- in fact, it could be a group
of people who collaborate to construct their story/analysis in each round.
OR it could be several people who take turns on each round representing their
perspective. Those are interesting variations! Get your friends to play
with you! Just as long as we have one person who can stand for the player
A, B, C, and coordinate what happens for the contribution of that player,
then the game can proceed without a hitch!

On perspective and "getting it right" -- I'm not worried about this. For me,
this is a game and a way to explore a perspective -- and its relation to
other perspectives. So making mistakes is part of the game! Creativity is
another -- since this game is an adaptation of "photoshop layer cake" (see
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ctexiera/cake/070102/index.html for an example)
and creativitity is part of the game, you are allowed to make up whatever
fictions you need to complete your perspective! Our analyses will not be
research quality publications -- I'd like to break that rule, break free of
that constraint. The constant pressure to publish/give talks can arguably
stifle creativity because there is not enough freedom to be "out there", to
break the mold. And remember, the idea is to make this a safe setting for
joint creativity, and respect for the players is important.

So -- on that matter, if the players wish, we can run the game backstage in
its entirety, and then post all 5 completed soups. Or we could also leave
players anonymous -- and I'll do the postings for each round. Those of you
who have expressed interest, please send me your opinions!

Post analysis of the game could be regarded for a publication -- HOWEVER,
I'll consider this only if EVERY game player agrees, and if it is a
multi-authored publication with EVERY player a co-author!

And yes -- I'd like to be a player. I'm in. This game is an attempt to
break the mold!

bb