The Activity Theory Show!

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 05:49:06 PDT

*cues music*
baaah-da-da-da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! boom-shakka-lakka-lakka
*applause sign lights up*

Oh boy. This sounds fantastic bill. I'm IN! I can put this on my resume!
"Performer in the Activity Theory Show Fall 2002" - I know you call it a
stew, a Stew,
but Show is funnier isn't it? And it IS a show, appealing to many of the
egos, certainly mine, I'm sure.
Wonderful. How about a Stew and Show, a "rrrilly big Shew..."

diane

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>Ok, well... things are getting pretty dullsville around here, and while i
>know folks are probably working hard toward an aera deadline (I should be
>too, but too much focussing makes me allergic), there is something
>creative
>and distractive i have in mind, with respect to Lois' latest posting.
>
>It's a game I've just adapted from an online art activity i've been
>observing.
>
>The game is called "Activity Theory Stew" or "Do many cooks roil the
>soup?"
>
>I'll need four (4) intrepid volunteers for this game, which goes in
>rounds.
>The game will start in August, when we are ready, and when aera proposals
>are
>submitted. Volunteers will apply to me directly -- and specify your
>orientation: A) Activity (with a capital A); B) mediated action in
>context;
>C) Culture is central; D) power, gender, and difference; E) forms of
>participation. (Or you may want to substitute one of your own categories
>for
>any one of the above) Don't worry that there might be overlaps -- this
>is a
>only a game. If there are not enough volunteers, we won't play. All 5
>players post in each of 5 rounds to xmca. Any xmca'er (player or
>non-player)
>who criticizes a contribution will be expected to write a substitution
>for
>the criticized element under the threat of due and duly backstage
>harassment
>by "yours truly" -- the idea being that this is a creative game, and if
>you
>are not playing, please respect those that are.
>
>1) So here is how it works. In the first round, each player puts
>together a
>text "scenario" according to their orientation. It can be simply a
>story, a
>microgenesis, a scene, a setting, a description of a
>system/community/figured
>world, whatever, with some combination of observation and theory -- but
>balance between the two is NOT required. Fiction is fine. Postings are
>limited to a maximum of 800 words, with a minimum of 100 words.
>
>2) Second round. "A" extends the "B" posting, adding 100 to 800 words
>according to A's prefered orientation. "B" responds to "C", "C" responds
>"D", "D" responds to "E", and "E" responds to "A", each according to
>their
>own orientation. You see, we will be brewing 5 stews, 5 jointly cooked
>stews. Postings must quote the prior work to guarantee artistic and
>semiotic
>flow.
>
>3-5) rounds three to five, we repeat the process. Again A responds to
>B's
>latest posting, B responds to C's latest posting, etc. It might be
>argued
> [...]

'Lord Ronald said nothing; he flung himself from the room, flung himself
upon his horse and rode madly off in all directions.'
Stephen Leacock,
"Gertrude the Governess, or Simple Seventeen."

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, pointe claire, qc, H9R 3Z2