Re: srcd interest?

From: Geoff Hayward (geoff.hayward@educational-studies.oxford.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 01:47:41 PDT

I like the term supplemental. In our work on out of school types of activities and vocational education and training programmes we draw a distinction between compensatory and complimentary. Compensatory programmes are typically offered to students considered at risk and are intended to (though we doubt they do) compensate for previous 'educational failure'. The disocurses that circulate around such programmes are rich with the language of motivation and relevance. Complimentary programmes (which I guess are supplementary) are those intended to broaden the educational experience of young people and, again in our experience, would be accessed more often by more advantaged students, indeed such programmes may be targeted at these groups by their providers because such studnets are perceived as being a low risk to the programme's image (there is a fierce market operating in the UK for the provision of these programmes with many competing agencies). Discourses circulating around t
 hese types of programmes are rich with the language of generic skills and transfer.

Currently we are writing a proposal for the AERA conference exploring the learning benefits that accrue (or do not) from participation in an example of the latter type of programme relative to the opportunity and transcation costs incurred.