Valsiner on Novelty

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 05:30:05 PDT

In a message dated 7/10/2002 7:00:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
mcole@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

> I would have to go read Valsinder on novelty, but very important is the
> issue of social uptake/interpretation/construction.

For anyone interested;

A recent article entitiled, 'Process structure of semiotic mediation in human
development' appears in Human Devlopment volume 44 pp. 84-97.In this article
Valsiner ascertains that developmental psychology is the study of
'present-to-future' models and that 'these models allow researchers to focus
on the processes of emergence-or construction-of novelty'

This is much the same as M. Cole's post of yesterday concerning the cultural
tool kit.

For those not familiar with Valsiner he is much in the tradition of James
Mark Baldwin and Mikhail Basov concerning the reflexive nature of how people
'internalize' cultural knowledge to make it their own. In response to your
question to me of a few days ago Mike it is this difference between whether
their is an internal or external 'pool of cultural knowledge' that draws the
most distinct line among sociocultural researchers. Valsiner would be
leading proponent of the school of thought that people internalize knowledge
and Rogoff would be the leading proponent that their is only shared cultural
knowledge which implies nothing is internal or external it is merely shared
[anyone knowing more in depth regarding Rogoff please jump in for I have only
read a handful of her articles].

eric